Saturday, October 1, 2011

I Feel Sorry for August...

It use to be my favorite month. Don't get me wrong, A LOT of great things happen in August. For starters I was born in that month :), some of the hottest days of summer are then, school starts back, and of course the promise of fall is right around the corner.
However, in 1998 things changed for me. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. From that day forward my life was changed. I knew nothing about breast cancer. All I knew was my mom had it. I didn't know that if detected early enough there is hope. I didn't know 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed. I didn't know every 3 minutes another person hears those dreaded words. I did not know that because of my high risk status that at 37 years old every six months my life would be put on hold, as I wait yet again for mammogram results. I did not know that very soon pink would become my favorite color.
What I did know is that I didn't want to lose my mommy. What I did know is that I wanted answers. What I did know is that God was in control. What I did know is that I needed hope.
So for me I did some research, learned some facts, and went to battle with my mom against this UGLY disease. I sat with her through both chemo and radiation. I held her hand as they shaved her head. I helped her throw away those God awful wigs. Bought her all the baseball caps I could find, and anything that had a pink ribbon on it. Her telling me all along that we were showing cancer who was boss. Little did we know....
Anyone who knows me knows how this story ends. In the wee morning hours of April 20th, 2004 my mommy died. I was lucky to be holding her hand, and was able to see her take that last breathe. I promised her on that morning that cancer hadn't won. I mean sure it may have won the fight, but every day we are coming closer and closer to winning the battle.
So let me get back to the boring sad month of August. I feel bad saying it, but my new favorite month is October. While August does have some amazing things about it (see above), no month (except December) can hold a candle to the beautiful month of October. For those of us impacted by breast cancer at all this is a month of HOPE. It is a month where it is OK to talk about boobs. It is a month where early detection is all you hear about. It is a month full of awareness. It is a month where many lives are saved.
So all during this month I will be featuring different people on this blog. Some you may know, and some you may not. All of these people have been affected by cancer in one way or another. I want to give a face to cancer. I want people to understand that not just strangers get it, that it can happen to them, and their loved ones.
So enjoy the first day of this month. Make sure you laugh a little more this month, make a few more memories this month, act a bit sillier, wear more pink, and of course become aware. Make those important appointments, feel the "girls", and know what is normal and not. If you don't do it for yourself do it for the poor month of August. I am sure he doesn't want to lose any more fans :)

No comments:

Post a Comment